Thursday, December 10, 2009

Recipe Attempt

Yes, 'tis the season. For the 4th annual cookie exchange here in my neighborhood. We really just use the cookie theme as an excuse to get together for brunch, mimosas, and girl talk! But I do need to come up with 6 dozen cookies between now and Saturday morning. I've used up my tried and true cookie recipes the past 3 years so this time I'm going to attempt to make something new. I found a recipe (see below) for English Tea Cakes. Which are cookies, not cakes but go figure. There are only a few ingredients so it seems like something I can handle. I just finished making the dough and stuck it in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll spend a good portion of the day baking and taste testing. OK, I did already taste test the dough and it was really good. Since there are no raw eggs involved I figured it was safe and someone had to clean the spatula anyway...

English Tea Cakes
from Allrecipes.com:
Makes 60 cookies
Prep Time:15 Min Cook Time: 10 Min Ready In:25 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 60 walnut or pecan halves, toasted

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls into greased miniature muffin cups; flatten slightly. Press a walnut half into the center of each.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Sounds like it is pretty foolproof, but then again this fool can find new ways to mess up a recipe without too much effort! Wish me luck :)

1 comments:

free indeed said...

I make these kinds of cookie too and roll them in powdered sugar once they cool. So good with coffee! Yum!