Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wednesday Welcome: Lotus Life Art

Each week I'm using Etsy's Pounce feature in order to discover new items "from undiscovered shops waiting for their first sale" as the Etsy site states. This week's welcome is extended to Lotus Life Art in Boston. Here is what the artist, Tammy Ricker, says about herself on her website:

I do not consider myself a painter of one specific subject matter but in my work I find myself using shapes that remind me of fragments of nature - leaves, flowers, water, sky. I am fascinated with abstraction as a visual expression, a means of expressing a range of feelings and ideas through color and composition. As I begin each piece I do not always know where it is going. Sometimes I begin with a rough idea, other times I work the surface applying layers, letting each piece assert itself as I work around it. Glazing over layers of applied paint provides me with texture and depth, a surface to immerse myself. Cave drawings, ancient art and Miro are timeless sources of inspiration. Bringing clay into my studio this year has led me to explore even further with glazes and building forms that evoke traces of nature yet leave space for individual interpretation. By painting and sculpting I am not only able to express ideas and feelings, but also to communicate with people and, with any luck, strike a chord within them. My goal is to evoke a state of reflection, through which the viewer is transported momentarily, and then returns enriched.

Her works include original watercolors, oil paintings, and ceramic tiles. This piece, titled Abstract Watercolor 10, is made up of 2.5" squares. It is a detailed, colorful collection of original watercolors on handmade paper. Click on the image to visit Tammy's shop!

0 comments: